Monday, July 2, 2012

Here Comes Reality!


I didn't seek this out, it came knocking on my door. I know, it normally doesn't happen like that but it did for me. Last September the producers of Beverly Hills Nannies called to tell me how perfect I'd be for the show.

Right off the bat I told them no...I have a one month old baby, I'm fat, boring, breastfeeding every two hours around the clock, getting three hours of sleep a night and totally, utterly exhausted. How could I possibly do a reality show? I explained I'd gone from a Louboutin loving, size 0, seriously social butterfly to a pajama wearing, slipper slinging, stay at home, breastfeeding mama and that the old Marika they'd known no longer existed. I'm a mommy now, and Xander is my priority and my life. Plus, as the camera puts on 10 lbs clearly I'd be no match for HDTV having gained 65 lbs while prego!

But they kept calling and eventually convinced me to shoot the pilot in November when Xander was three months old. I dusted off my hot rollers and pulled out my makeup and went shopping for some bigger clothes. Sure, I've been known to be funny. I can hang with the best of them. So, why not have some fun with this? I actually didn't even think the pilot would get picked up, but it did (clearly I must have been beyond fab in the pilot and dazzled everyone to the point of no return at Evolution and ABC Family because after all, it's all about me...right?!?). They had to have the show. They had to have me. Rock and roll.

And so began my adventures of shooting a reality TV show. We shot for eleven weeks last Spring and I had a total blast. The producers and crew that were at my house four times a week became like family. Our nannies are amazing and I love them to death (as does Xander). Xander also had an amazing time filming. He LOVES the cameras, a little too much maybe. He's actually kind of obsessed with them. I don't know what this means for his future, but I know he enjoyed the process. He loves people and so do I. He's a ham just like Mommy. 

Now onto phase two...the airing of the show. July 11th, 9/8c ABC Family. Nine weeks of fabulousness. We shall see how I'm edited! I'm so curious to find out who I'll "be", haha! I already know they will take all my funny, dramatic lines and sensationalize them. That's what it's all about it, right?!? This stuff just spews out of my mouth, I swear I have no control of it. :) I know it's going to be a funny, fun show and I'm super excited to see where this wild ride takes me.

To everyone who knows me, you know who I truly am. To everyone who will get to know me on the show and has never met me, well...you'll either love me or you'll really, really love me. :) I'm as readily available as a stay at home mommy to a ten month old can be, so Tweet or FB me with any questions/comments and I promise to get back to you. I hope you enjoy watching the show as much as I enjoyed filming it. I know everyone on the show has had a blast.

xxx


4 comments:

  1. Hi Marika,

    We have just read about your new show in the newspaper all the way over in Italy. We're big fans of your Bodyscape photographs - one of our clients over in California sent us your website last year. Congrats on being chosen for such a great show!

    The team at Belen Echandia
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! That's so crazy, what a small world!! Thank you SO much for the message and the congrats!!

      I just checked out the Belen Echandia website, what GORGEOUS bags!! Where can I find one?

      Please let me know if I can answer any questions you have on my artwork.

      Thanks for watching the show! Is it on cable in Italy or are you watching it online? How fun!!

      Thanks again!!

      xoxo Marika

      Delete
  2. Hey Marika,

    I'm a young mom too. I'm going to be 20 years old this year and I'm the proud (single) mom of a beautiful 12 week old baby girl. I have to admit, watching the first couple episodes of the show I really didn't care for you. Mainly because of the way you treated Justin. I felt like you thought of him kinda like he was your slave or something. But then again, Xander is your only child and I would be the same over protective way with my daughter. Now, after reading your blog, you seem like a really cool person. I just wanted to let you know that. Keep your head up. I wish you Xander and your entire family the absolute best.

    Best wishes all the way from Barbados.
    Bye! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rochelle,

      Thank you so much for writing!! First off, CONGRATS on your baby girl! It's THE MOST AMAZING thing in the world to have and care for a baby.

      Justin and I are like brother and sister the way we banter. :) We absolutely love each other!! The way the show was edited they sadly took out all the loving moments we had together and put in all the high drama crazy funny stuff! It's reality TV after all, and I realize I'm going to be judged on what is shown and not what is always the whole truth. But it's been so much fun and we had a blast filming. Justin is an amazing nanny and ladysitter!!

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog, it means a lot! I need to write blog entries more but it's hard to find the time running after Xander all day long!

      Good luck with your baby. You seem like an amazing mama too and I wish you all the best.

      xoxo Marika

      Delete